You are in the midst of the exciting wedding planning process and you’re ready to focus on music! What’s going to get the party started? Who is going to get all your friends and family dancing until their feet hurt?
A band or DJ truly sets the tone for the evening since their primary job is to bring everyone together on the dance floor so everyone feels the love and joy in the room. Depending on your individual style as a couple and your budget, the first big decision is whether to have a band or a DJ.
A Band is obviously more expensive because you are paying for more musicians, sound engineers, a bigger sound system, and staging if needed. Still, a great band is able to bring life into the party and fill the room with amazing energy.
Nothing is quite as electrifying as a live music experience. Think about when you’re blasting your favorite artist in the car. Whether that may be The Black Keys, Beyoncé or Bob Dylan – nothing beats the feeling you got when you saw them live for the first time (or second, or third).
DJs have the ability to play all music styles because a computer is right at their fingertips. With this flexibility, they can make sure all your guests are having a great time by reading the crowd and creating an amazing dance atmosphere.
After you decide if you’re booking a live band or DJ, how do you go about choosing the right one for you? Music is considered one of the most important aspects of a wedding so while you’re exploring options, you should feel like the bandleader or DJ you’re meeting with is committed to executing your vision of your wedding. The best bands and DJs are professionals and create a feeling of confidence that should put you at ease.
If you’re viewing band videos, make sure it’s a live video so you are hearing the actual band, not a studio recording that’s synced up to the singers lips for 1-2 seconds at a time. Are they showing you examples of all the styles of music you want? Some bands put a much bigger list of songs out there than they can really play. The musicians should sound great to you and look like they are actually having fun!
Here are a few more questions to ask yourself as you research the perfect wedding entertainment for your big day!
- Are the band’s videos live and do you like their sound?
- Does their song list reflect the styles and songs you like?
- Will they learn new songs for you?
- How do they personalize the wedding to your musical taste?
- Are they flexible in the size and price of the band to fit your needs?
- Can they provide ceremony music?
- What additional charges are there? Are the sound system, sound engineer, learning new songs, planning meetings, parking and meals for the band included in the cost?
- Do you feel comfortable with the DJ’s personality and musical knowledge?
- What is the DJ’s process for personalizing your playlist for the evening?
- How many weddings has the DJ done?
Here at Stitely, we strive to answer these questions before you even need to ask them, to give you the confidence that your evening will go perfectly!