There’s nothing better than some hot-out-of-the-oven comfort food on a chilly, slushy winter day. We’ve got you covered with this recipe for easy meatloaf topped with garlic-dill mashed potatoes (and a side of candied carrots if you want to curb your sweet tooth!).
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/3 cup italian parsley, chopped
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/2 cup ketchup
salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 large russet potatoes
1/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
dill weed, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, egg, onion, green pepper, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Place in a lightly greased 5×9 glass baking dish.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. Mix well and pour over top of the meatloaf.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. After the meatloaf has been in the oven for 30 minutes, chop the potatoes into large squares and boil lightly for about 20 minutes until tender.
5. When potatoes are finished cooking, drain, then add garlic and mash with a fork. Add milk, butter, and dill and continue mashing until texture is smooth and ingredients are mixed well (add more butter or milk if potatoes are still too thick).
6. Serve the meatloaf sliced, topped with mashed potatoes and garnish with fresh parsley leaves.
(Note: To make candied carrots shown in the picture, first coat a frying pan with a light layer of olive oil and toss carrots until evenly covered with the oil. Cook the carrots, covered, on low-medium heat until tender. Then add butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to taste and cook until mixture is warm and evenly coated over carrots. Voila!)